Loving Our Neighbor Christmas Cardshttp://www.nycityserve.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/loving-our-neighbor_FB-banner-1024x379.png 1024 379 NY City Serve NY City Serve http://www.nycityserve.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/loving-our-neighbor_FB-banner-1024x379.png
Earlier this month, volunteers from churches across the city helped spread love to neighbors through hand-made acts of kindness. Thanks to 90+ volunteers, over 300 men & women from 8 prisons, 2 women’s shelters, and 1 recovery center received a beautiful hand-written/ hand-made Christmas card. Each card included a personal touch (unique artwork, bookmarks, and inspirational words of wisdom), as well as a promise to pray for the recipient.
We are so grateful to the volunteers who lovingly made cards and organized opportunities for others to participate. It was inspiring to see so many people eager to join the effort to love and serve our NYC neighbors.
We had the opportunity to meet with several ministry/ nonprofit leaders through this project, and we are excited about the opportunities to collaborate/ serve/ spread love in the new year.
- ^The Artist Collective from TGC Park Slope made a fun event out of the card making.
- ^beautiful handmade cards from the TGC Park Slope group.
- ^Raul Baez from WITO, Inc. picking up the cards to be distributed to 8 different prisons.
- ^Hand-painted cards from talented artist/ designer, Leanne from Liberty Church, Downtown Brooklyn.
- ^ A CCC family made 100 cards (each with a uniquely inspiring message).
- ^Friends from Liberty Church Brooklyn hosted a bookmark making table at their holiday party (each bookmark included an inspiring message).
- ^Hand-painted art and individualized bible versus were placed inside cards delivered to a Brooklyn-based recovery center.
We would like to extend a special thank you to:
Friends from Brooklyn Tabernacle
Friends from Christian Cultural Center
Friends from Weill Cornell Medical Students
Friends from Trinity Grace Church, Park Slope
Friends from Liberty Church Downtown, Brooklyn
Friends from Liberty Church, Union Square
Friends from Trinity Grace Church, East Village
Raul Baez, Executive Director of WITO, Inc., for helping us reach men and women from 8 different prison facilities. WITO’s mission is to equip incarcerated men & women with biblical principles, financial empowerment and transforming values so they can unlock the doors to success.
Darrell Cheng, Manager of Non-Profit Relations at Trellis, for helping us reach out to church volunteers and nonprofits in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
Check out more photos from the Loving Our Neighbor Card Initiative on Flickr